Skip to main content

How to make a two litre milk bottle scoop!

Here is yet another use for a two lite milk bottle!

I needed another scoop for the chook feed - the last one simply disappeared - and while I was looking around for a suitable receptacle my eye fell on the two litre milk bottle that was ready to go into the recycle bin... I wonder, I thought, if I can fashion a scoop out of it. My husband is usually the one to do things like this but as he was safely ensconced at work earning money I decided that if it didn't work - I could afford to sacrifice an empty milk bottle and then I'd simply sic him onto making one when the next bottle became available...

Here's what I did...

Take your average two litre milk bottle... and give it a though wash.

And with a marker pen, mark a cutting line that starts just under the handle and then goes in a "S" shape down to the opposite corner. Mirror that line back up the other side.

Then cut!

And Voila! One free, two second, recycled (or is that upcycled) plastic and very hip scoop! 

I use mine in the chook grain - but I'm sure it could be used for flour or any other bulk food stuff - or even as spades in the sandpit or in the bath! You are only limited by your imagination and your families milk drinking capacity!

Because the scoop is cut with the corner at the bottom, it makes it really easy to fill up the chook feeder - like thus...

My husband make this for the chookies dining pleasure! Pretty cool huh?

This is nice and easy to make! It took me a while to work out that you cant make a flat scoop with two litre milk containers as the handle is on the corner. So I have made a curved bladed scoop. If you need a scoop with a flat blade, try a three litre milk container as the handle is on the side, not the corner! If you are making a sandpit or even a bath toy - the cut off bit will make a smaller handleless scoop that will be just as handy for your child's imagination (or maybe that bit could go in the flour bin for you to play with?) Don't forget to leave the lid on or all your chook food/flour/sand will fall out the back!

Score card:
Green-ness: 5/5 for getting a second use out of a common bin filler.
Frugal-ness: 5/5 for upcycling and not spending a cent!
Time cost: Maybe two minutes...
Skill level: Cutting (no pasting this time!)
Fun -ness: great fun to figure out the cutting pattern without the helpful suggestions of the husband! I think Im quite clever now!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great idea, there are plenty of things you can do with milk jugs. My kids used to make birdfeeders with them each year at school.
Practical Frog said…
Ah - I'd love to see a post for that! We have lots of bird in our yard that might want me to see that post too! - Kxx
Anonymous said…
I want one of your chook feeders please - are they postable?
love mum
Practical Frog said…
Its just a peice of drainage pipe bolted on to the fence!
I will send you pictures of his latest version that works even better! He has also make waterers that work REALLY well so we can go away for the weekend and know the chookies have water and food. - K xx
Share great information about your blog , That’s what I was looking for. I am talking about all topics bundled in this blog. Blog really helpful for me. Thanks for share your blog here.
carpet steam cleaning Sydney
carpet steam cleaning
End of lease cleaning Sydney
Bond cleaning sydney
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong. Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do? Here's what we did... We found a box - popped an old

Easy to make fabric covers for milk crates!

Like most households, milk crates appear in and about our house as they are the right size to sit on, strong enough to stand on and the right shape to store things in. They are usually free or picked up for a dollar or two at garage sales or at dump/tip shops. They come in red and blue in our area (depending on weather they are originally from Paul's or Dairy Farmers!) and that simply doesn't go with my outdoor decor - neither does the plastic look but that's another issue. Something had to be done. I decided to cover them with material that fitted in with the rest of our current outdoor setting - A quick look on the Internet for inspiration and confidence and... The finished product being modelled by the cat! Here's what I did... I started with the standard Brissy Blue and Red Milk Crates... Then I bought a sheet and a couple of pillow cases from the local Footprints Op Shop This is less a pattern and more a method to follow - Cut the sheet i

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them... But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!! We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to bre